This is a fun twist on Toad in the Hole (one of my 10-year-old's favorite things to make for himself). Eggs and potatoes are besties and this recipe puts them together in a lovely, unexpected way. Elegant enough for a weekend brunch get-together, but simple enough to do anytime.
4 russet potatoes
olive oil & sea salt to coat potatoes
8 cups greens of choice (arugula, spinach, watercress, lettuce, microgreens)
2 T fresh dill, chopped
2 T fresh chives, chopped
1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 t sea salt
freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Scrub potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Rub with olive oil and salt.
- Place potatoes directly on oven grate and bake for 60-75 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
- Allow potatoes to cool, slice in half and scoop flesh to create a "bowl".
- Place potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and add 1 egg to each "bowl".
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper and bake for 17 minutes, or until whites are set and yolks are still runny.
- Meanwhile whisk vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Divide greens among four plates and drizzle with dressing.
- Top each salad with a potato and sprinkle herbs.