Makes 12 crepes
As a very simple but passionate cook, I like recipes that are easy, colorful, delicious and ready in 30. These crepes fit the bill. I also love the versatility - change up the juice for color and flavor, savory or sweet. Get creative with the filling and enjoy!
1 cup fresh beet juice
1 1/3 cups buckwheat flour
3/4 t sea salt
1 t garlic powder
2 T olive oil + more for frying
4-8 oz water (start with 4 and add until batter reaches a desired consistency - test a few in the pan before adding more water)
- Whisk together juice and eggs.
- Add flour, salt, garlic powder. Slowly add water & oil while whisking until completely smooth.
- Let batter sit for 15 minutes to thicken. Add more water if necessary.
- Heat a skillet (or ideally a crepe pan) with a bit of oil. The pan is ready when a flick of water sizzles and evaporates immediately.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto pan (more or less depending on desired size). Cook for 1-2 minutes (until bubbles form) and flip. Cook 1 minute more.
- Allow to cool and fill with desired ingredients.
Substitute beet juice with spinach or carrot, or cherry or raspberry for a sweet version. Savory filling suggestions: hummus, sweet pea mash, avocado, feta, goat cheese. Sweet filling suggestions: orange flavored mascarpone, ricotta or cream cheese & roasted or fresh fruit.