I adore any preparation of artichokes, but this one makes them shine. So refined and simple. So good.
4 globe artichokes, trimmed down to tender leaves, quartered, choke removed (keep stem intact and trim with a paring knife)
Juice of two lemons
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. fresh thyme, minced
• After trimming the artichokes, place them in a bowl of cold water with the lemon juice.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, thyme and salt.
• Blanch the artichokes in salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until cooled.
• Add the artichokes to bowl with seasonings. Toss well and place artichokes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until heart is tender and nicely browned.
Artichokes are plentiful with fiber and potassium, and are being studied for having a detoxifying effect on the liver. Blanching the artichokes tenderizes them before roasting (which is important for the leaves), it also turns them a gorgeous bright green. I enjoy this process, but if it’s too much work or time is limited, simply purchase 12 ounces frozen artichokes, thaw, add to the seasoning and roast (just skip the blanching step).
TOTAL FAT 4G
SAT FAT 0G
DIABETIC EXCHANGES: 2 VEG, 1 FAT